Job Title: Relationship Manager
Department: Loan Department
Reports to: Chief Credit Officer/Chief Lending Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Basic Function of position:
The primary job functions of the relationship manager are to manage assigned loan portfolios. In addition, recommend decisions on loan applications.
Responsibilities- include, but not limited to; Other Duties may be assigned:
- Adhering to all Bank polices and procedures in regards to new deposit and loan customers.
- Must comply with Bank compliance.
- Understands and follows all robbery, emergency and safety procedures.
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Responsible for meeting individual and Bank sales goals through business development. These activities can be accomplished through cold calling, networking, managing a portfolio of Centers OF Influence (COI) and sales seminars, etc.
- Developing existing customer portfolios by cross-selling the Bank’s products and services.
- Responsible for understanding the credit worthiness of the Bank’s commercial portfolios.
- Understands how to analyze information for the review process on loans/lines for clients such as: Financial statements, balance sheet and credit reports.
- Recommends decisions on loans/lines presented.
- Understands the commercial market with regards to: client industry, current market conditions, and the competition, etc.
- Responsible for gathering all customer information and documents needed to complete the application such as: personal and business financial statements, tax returns, leases, property cash flow and also order the credit report, etc.
- Complete all required classes that are assigned by the Compliance Department by December 31 of the year, each year.
- Exemplary mathematical and reading skills.
- Must have good oral, written, organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent computer skills, computer literacy, and key board skills.
- Displays exemplary customer service and time management.
- Exude excellent professionalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred but not required.
- In lieu of degree, five (5) years or more experience in managing loan portfolios is accepted.
- Prior training in loan portfolio management is required.
- Must have three (3) years or more experience in analytical/credit analysis.
- Must have three (3) years or more experience in business development, preferably in banking.
This job may entail:
- Sitting or being sedentary for up to eight (8) hours per day.
- Traveling in your car or by other means of transportation.
- Working on the computer up to eight (8) hours per day.
- May be asked or required as part of the job duty to attend events where standing for periods of time may occur.
- Working under different types of lighting (i.e. fluorescent, etc.) for up to eight (8) hours per day.
A successful chief financial officer has a range of responsibilities that extend beyond the traditional duties of accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and capital financing. In today’s challenging business environment, a top CFO must be the organization’s financial steward while contributing to operational and strategic planning in innovative ways – a leader as dedicated to their company’s success as they are to ensuring their company’s reputation in the community. The CFO of the Year program will recognize Long Island’s top financial officers for their outstanding fiscal leadership and asset management, contributions to their company’s performance, their contribution and commitment to their profession and organizations as well as their involvement in the community.
Join Long Island Business News and sponsors Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, Eisner Amper, Marcum, Wells Fargo, Cohn Reznick, Grassi & Co, and Sterling National Bank as we recognize and congratulate the 2014 CFO of the Year awardees in the following categories:
Catherine Califano ~ Gold Coast Bank
Mark Bogen ~ South Nassau Communities Hospital
Lawrence Boord ~ EPIC Long Island
Robert E. Caulfield ~ Jefferson’s Ferry Lifecare Retirement Community
Melvin Ness ~ Touro College
Private Company with revenue below $50mm
Anthony Columbo ~ Gilbert Displays
Stephen Finkel ~ FJC Security
Stephan Grillo ~ A+ Technology & Security
Michael Pischel ~ U.S. Nonwovens
Kathy Reiter ~ Gundermann & Gundermann Insurance
Paul Strohmenger ~ Nettle Bay Partners
Robert Zuclich ~ Plycon Van Lines
Private Company with revenue above $50mm
Michael Sabanos ~ HUB International
Public Company with revenue below $50mm
Brian Baker ~ Medical-Action Industries
Mr. Johnis is a 36 year veteran banking executive with a wealth of expertise and knowledge in commercial banking and credit management. He has had in-depth leadership experience across multiple facets of the banking business, including lending, credit risk management, relationship management, special assets and operations. Mr. Johnis was most recently Senior Vice President / Senior Commercial Banking Officer at The First National Bank of Long Island in Glen Head, NY, where he was responsible for managing the Commercial Banking Division. While at First National Mr. Johnis served on the Bank’s Executive Committee and various loan committees. Additionally, he was Chairperson of the Product and Pricing Committee, as well as a mentor in the Professional Development Program. Prior to First National Mr. Johnis directed the Suffolk County Lending Division for Marine Midland / HSBC. Mr. Johnis started his career at Long Island Trust Company where he was formally credit trained. Mr. Johnis has served as Co-Chairperson of the Smithtown High School Industry Advisory Board and is a member of Risk Management Associates, the Hauppauge Industrial Association, the Long Island Association, and the Advancement for Commerce, Industry and Technology. Mr. Johnis has also been a featured panelist for the New York State Society of CPAs regarding “What Bankers Look for When Considering a Loan Request.” Mr. Johnis received his BS in Accounting from Dowling College and is a graduate of the American Bankers Association (ABA) Stonier School of Banking. He resides in Smithtown with his wife Diana and has two adult sons.